We have tried and failed at all kinds of devotional resources for our family. It was a struggle in the beginning to pick something to fit such a great age range, be relevant, and feed our souls. We heard Billy Graham read 5 Psalms and 1 Proverb every day. We were intrigued; after all it was Billy Graham. If we did this each day, then each month, we would read through the entire book of Psalms and the entire book of Proverbs. We decided to give it a shot. We prayed about it and trusted that God would stir our hearts.
Psalms talks about who God is and what He is like:
Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. Psalm 36:5-6
Proverbs talk about how to treat our fellow man and how we interact:
The tongue that brings healing is a tree of life, but a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit. A fool spurns his father’s discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence. Proverbs 15:4-5
Here are some tangible ways God has used these 2 books in our family:
1) We have been encouraged during hard times that the Lord would be faithful no matter what we think about a situation.
2) We are challenged to do the right thing toward people especially when we do not feel like it i.e. confess and ask for forgiveness.
3) We are free of needing to seek revenge because we read continually of God’s justice.
4) We sense peace during times the world thinks we should be really anxious.
5) We are challenged to grow with Christ as our help and model.
6) We feel His unconditional love and it propels us to love the unlovable
lt is really fun to hear our children as they begin to understand the importance of learning God’s character and how He wants us to treat others. It’s even more special when the stories are shared as we live these truths out.
So, even if you are just starting out with family devotions, please be patient. Remember, the goal is to open up God’s word together as a family. Find something that works for your family. Figure out a time, even if it is just once a week, to begin meeting with your family. Be encouraged because, God’s word is ~
Living and active, sharper than any two edged edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12