In this episode of Parenting with Truth and Grace we interview Rick and Leanne Noren. Rick is the Assistant Athletic Director and Head Softball Coach at Saint Martin’s University where he is assisted by none other than Leanne Noren! They have worked together for over 15 years at the collegiate and club level. You can listen to the Podcast here. Also, if you haven’t already subscribed, why don’t you subscribe now so you automatically get each weeks newest episode?
II Timothy 1:7 – for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Proverbs 15:1 – A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
One day their youngest son Joel was crying and they assumed their sons were just boys being boys. So they decided to stay in their room and let them play it out, but after hearing him cry for awhile they intervened. They tried to bribe him with a sucker to stop crying (even though it was 7:30 am) and when he turned it down they knew something was wrong. After a trip to the ER they soon discovered he had broken his leg.
Parenting Ah-ha Moment
How their family got started. They were struggling to get pregnant and prayed for God to allow them to start a family. Their oldest son Kyle is adopted and instead of just asking God for a pregnancy they realized they should have been asking what more God had for them. Now, they feel so fortunate to be called to adoption. God has made it very clear that Kyle was meant to be in their family, but he has also since blessed them with two biological children. When God is closing doors he has something else for us that will be better than we can ever imagine.
Proudest Parenting Moment
Their oldest son Kyle struggled at being a risk taker. When he was 6, they moved to a new house. He had kicked a ball over the fence and without asking he went to conquer the fence and get the ball. It was a perfect picture of him conquering his fear of taking risks and a metaphor of how in life we all have fences to climb.
One thing you are excited about in this season
Their family is in a sweet spot. They entering the season of sending a kid off to college and they are so excited to see Kyle develop and go off onto his next chapter. Then to have their younger two come up right behind him, they feel ready to take the teenage years on two more times. Its been fun to see all their kids grow up and to have conversations with them about their lives and views. They are really enjoying the stage they are at right now.
Lightning round –
- Greatest fear – They were more afraid of not becoming parents and Rick mentioned but once you get your baby in the car to take them home your first fear is ” Oh man, did I buckle him in correctly”?
- Best advice – Raise your children to be a joy to others.
- One of your personal habits that contributes to your success – A strict bedtime. They know how important rest is to their physical and mental well-being.
- Recommended Parenting book / Website –
- The Increase
- I am Second
- Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man’s Soul
- Rick Warren, Daily Hope Devotional
One thing they would do differently- In their busy lives making more time for family dinner and making time to be a family.
Top 3 Priorities for parenting-
- Cherish those moments when those kids are young.
- Know the values of your home and what you want to instill in your kids before they leave your home
- Consistency and making the bible your key tool in parenting.